Purchasing and Procurement Manager
Location: Saco, ME
Department: Production Support
Reports to: VP – Operations
Supervises: Shipping/Receiving Supervisor
The Purchasing and Procurement Manager is responsible for leading our purchasing and procurement efforts as well as having shipping/ receiving reporting to them. This manager contributes to Yale’s profit and growth goals, helping to meet company objectives. The incumbent will have a direct impact on both supply side and our shipping success, leveraging budgeting, budget control and negotiating skill to yield long-term savings. He or she will develop innovative and cost-effective strategies for procurement, including identifying and building strong relationships with supply chain vendors and with our logistics and shipping negotiations partner. On the Shipping side, this position will be responsible for the oversight of the IT systems that track shipments, inventory and supply of goods.
– Adhere to the safety policies of Yale Cordage, Inc.
– Develop procurement strategies that are inventive and cost-effective.
– Source and engage reliable suppliers and vendors.
– Review existing contracts with suppliers and vendors to ensure on-going feasibility.
– Negotiate with suppliers and vendors to secure advantageous terms; partner with Yale’s 3rd party Logistics and Negotiations partner.
– Build and maintain long-term relationships with vendors and suppliers.
– Approve purchase orders, organize and confirm delivery of goods and services.
– Perform risk assessments on potential contracts and agreements.
– Control the procurement budget and promote a culture of long-term savings on procurement costs.
– Oversee and manage the IT systems that track shipments, inventory, and the supply of goods.
– Prepare procurement reports.
– Review Customs Bond agreements.
– Monitor logistics costs and select appropriate 3PL providers as required.
– Lead and direct the Shipping staff.
– Perform other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
– Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, logistics, or business administration, or equivalent education and experience.
– Proven experience managing supply chain operations.
– Experience using supply chain management software and tools.
– In-depth knowledge of preparing and reviewing contracts, invoicing, and negotiation terms.
– Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access).
– Demonstrate strong management and leadership skills.
– Demonstrate strong multi-tasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks.
– Demonstrate strong organization and detail orientation.
– Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
– Computer literate
– Strong knowledge of, or ability to quickly learn international export regulations
– Knowledge of Quality Assurance expectations and packaging requirements
– Supervisory duties require demonstrated leadership, problem-solving, ability to share knowledge and teach others to perform tasks. Effectively communicate with customers and team, demonstrate a high level of customer service to internal and external customers
– Good math skills
– Maintain composure when working under pressure
Prior to employees commencing their job duties, provide department/position specific safety orientation and safety training for any employees who are new to your department, or are assuming new duties. Provide ongoing safety training as needed or required.
– Support Yale in achieving high performance levels in service and profitability
– Hold self and others accountable for achieving results
– Support a culture that promotes high employee morale and performance
– Provide strong leadership, motivate staff to deliver a high level of productivity, quality, and customer satisfaction
– Respond to employee concerns or complaints in a timely and courteous manner; (ability to effectively problem solve)
– Effectively coach, motivate, lead and resolve employee concerns by timely communicating on-going positive and constructive feedback
– Keep timely & accurate documentation via performance log, attendance record, and corrective action form. (Must partner with GM/HR on all terminations)
– Schedule staffing and assignment of daily duties to meet business needs while effectively controlling payroll
– Interview, select, train, and orient employees per Yale’s process and procedures
– Ensure that payroll standards are being met (Verify compliance with PTO and Holiday pay policy)
– Review daily Time & Attendance punches in payroll and maintain Attendance Spreadsheet (log), accurately reflecting reasons for occurrences
– Train team how to punch in, out and transfer departments (holds employees accountable)
– Aggressively manage workers’ compensation claims in partnership with HR as needed)
– Use meetings, memos or bulletins to keep staff informed
– Participate in the annual budgeting process and effectively manage department expenses in line with the budget
Leadership – ability to effectively motivate, mentor, coach & counsel others to perform well (including appropriate documentation)
Customer Service – deliver service that is timely, accurate, efficient and courteous; demonstrate patience, tact and diplomacy
People Skills – ability to collaborate, create rapport, and work effectively with others; earn and maintain trust and respect
Communication Skills – ability to effectively listen & communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing
Problem-Solving & Analytical Skills – ability to identify the issue, collect and analyze information to understand the problem and effectively resolve. Identify, recommend, and implement best practices
Judgment & Discretion – appropriately handle confidential and sensitive information
Organizational & Time Management Skills – ability to appropriately schedule time to meet job demands, multi-task, prioritize, follow through, and work efficiently with limited supervision
Aptitude & Adaptability – ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing priorities and business needs
Composure – ability to maintain composure and work under pressure, managing stress to meet business demands. (Calmly handle all customer and employee interactions & issues)
Attention to Detail – ability to follow instructions and achieve thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing tasks
Computer skills/ Technical Aptitude – proficiency in computer technology, i.e. e-mail, MS365 (Word, Excel) & other related systems. Utilize technology to enhance organizational efficiency
Training – ability to share knowledge and act as a resource in teaching others to perform tasks efficiently and safely
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Work is performed in both an office and manufacturing environment. Extended periods of sitting, operating computer with both hands. May also include extended periods of walking, standing, bending, lifting, twisting and kneeling. Occasionally, may include strenuous physical exertion, requiring ability to lift, carry and position heavy objects using proper body mechanics and techniques.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Yale Cordage, Inc. reserves the right to change or revise duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This document is not a written or implied contract of employment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.