Senior Quality Engineer
Location: Saco, ME or Salisbury, NC
Yale’s diverse product range requires a finely attuned Quality Management System (QMS), lead by an individual with attention to detail and a willingness and excitement for working in a fast-paced manufacturing environment. The Sr. Quality Engineer is responsible for leading Yale’s QMS by means of structured problem solving, implementation of comprehensive testing programs, root cause analysis and corrective action, and use of statistical methods and critical reasoning. The Sr. Quality Engineer will use these methods to identify process weaknesses and opportunities for improvement. They will make recommendations to the management team that will result in higher productivity and throughput, and reduced overall scrap rate, while reducing cost.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage and sustain a quality assurance, routine production testing program
- Improve product yield and reduce scrap rate by implementing statistical quality control initiatives
- Provide root cause analyses and technical reports on RMA materials and
- Lead and provide input to risk assessment activities such as FMEA
- Understand customer needs and requirements to develop effective quality control processes
- Devise and review specifications for products or processes
- Set requirements for raw material or intermediate products for suppliers and monitor their compliance
- Ensure adherence to health and safety guidelines as well as legal obligations
- Participate in all product development procedures to identify necessary quality standards
- Inspect final output and compare properties to requirements and determine disposition
- Keep accurate documentation and perform statistical analysis
- Solicit feedback from customers to assess whether their requirements are met
- Write technical reports detailing procedures, outcomes, and observations
- Assist in creation of publishable research findings in the form of abstracts, papers, and technical reports
- Be on the lookout for opportunities for improvement and develop new efficient processes
Education, Skills, & Experience:
- Bachelor or Master of Science in an Engineering Field from an ABET accredited program
- Preferably Mechanical Engineering or Textiles Engineering
- Preferred certifications: CQE, SSBB, CMQ
- 5+ years’ experience in a manufacturing environment
- ISO 9001
- Proven ability to conduct FMEA, root cause, statistical analysis
- Strong technical oral and written communication skills
- A keen eye for detail and a results’ driven approach
- Experience with AS9100 and ISO 14001, strongly preferred
- Experience with ASTM, ABS, NFPA, strongly preferred
- Experienced with CE, CI, UKCA audits, strongly preferred
- Familiarity with ASQ Z1.4 & Z1.9 preferred
- Previous experience in a textile industry and manufacturing environment is helpful
- Previous experience with ERP software
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, SQL, Matlab, Minitab, or equivalent
- Ability to Travel (25%) is required
- One Test Technician
Working Conditions/ Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, sit, stand, bend, lift, pull, walk, daily. Full hand and finger dexterity, with ability to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the manufacturing plant may be loud, in some areas hearing protection is required.
Yale Cordage, Inc. reserves the right to change or revise duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This document is not a written or implied contract of employment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.