Shipping & Receiving Supervisor
Location: Saco, ME
Reports to: VP Operations
This hourly paid working supervisor position is responsible for the safe, top quality, accurate shipping of Yale Cordage products. The Shipping Supervisor works closely with Yale’s negotiating and logistics partner to contract with shippers, finding the best options available as well as handling the receiving of Company and Customer owned goods, inventorying, and labeling of such goods. The incumbent directs the work of the shipping clerk, including delegating tasks, providing training, support and feedback, and serves as resource to the customer service department. Reporting directly to, this position also receives supplies shipments for our manufacturing facility.
– Adhere to the safety policies of Yale Cordage, Inc.
– To provide top quality, accurate shipments to our customers at the best possible service level and rates.
– Receives, logs, completes quality assurance in concert with Engineering off all incoming goods.
– Labeling of incoming goods.
– Unloading of incoming trucks, with and without the use of a forklift or hand truck.
– Use and knowledge of various computers and programs necessary for labeling, stock movement, and receiving products.
– Identifying and delivering of received goods to proper locations.
– Must be able to work overhead.
– Ability to operate forklift, pallet jacks, high lift, hand truck, inventory ladders, and other tools required helping facilitate movement of products.
– Package, label, and inventory rope and rope products.
– Identify problems with inventory, their cause, record keeping, transactions, and make corrections when necessary.
– Maintain knowledge of and ability to identify raw materials and products.
– Maintain knowledge of Company Quality Assurance expectations and packaging requirements
– Perform inventory cycle count raw materials and finished goods.
– General housekeeping.
– Performs other duties as assigned.
– Top quality shipments and presentation of shipments.
– Make our products look like the best in the business when it arrives at our customer’s.
– Design and post a “shipment decisions” matrix for both inbound and outboard freight.
– Eliminate all handwritten labels.
– 100% shipment accuracy – count, quality, and destination.
– Visibility for Customer Service of tracking numbers and freight transit times.
– Consolidate the number of shippers and aggressively review and challenge them to provide better service and lower rates.
– Aggressively pursue outbound/inbound rate negotiations.
– Work with current personnel for teamwork and quality improvements.
– Train a back-up shipper for all areas of shipping and receiving.
– Streamline order picking and shipping systems. Eliminate time killing and redundant steps in the shipping process.
– 100% bar code documentation of shipments within three (3) months.
– Identify personnel needs for normal shipping and receiving.
– Co-ordinate training with Finishing Manager to cover late or after-hours shipments or receipts.
– Co-ordinate in advance with Finishing and Fabrication (Rigging) for additional personnel for peak demands.
– Streamline procedures for Return Goods Authorization (RGAs).
– Assist in improved shipping methods and packaging developments.
– Design and implement a customer shipment feedback system.
– Become more familiar and comfortable with international shipping requirements.
– Investigate requirements to become a licensed customs broker.
– Identify and assist in implementation of system that may require additional equipment, or layout changes.
– Investigate/document any damaged goods issue (incoming and outgoing).
– Resolve any shipment claims.
Skills / Experience / Training Required
Shipping Duties require knowledge of Inventory Control equivalent to completion of 12 years of education and 2 years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Supervisory duties require demonstrated leadership, problem-solving, ability to share knowledge and teach others to perform tasks, high level customer service, effective communication with customers and team
High School diploma or equivalent
Ability to follow detailed operating directions.
Full hand and finger dexterity
Attention to detail and craftsmanship.
Good math skills
Maintain composure when working under pressure
Majority of tasks are done standing.
Ability to lift 70 lbs.
Works with minimal or no supervision
Ability to meet Quality Assurance expectations and packaging requirements
General labor for Shipping/Receiving Department
Working Conditions / Physical Demands
Regular and sustained periods of strenuous physical exertion, requiring ability to lift, carry and position heavy objects using proper body mechanics and techniques.
Yale Cordage, Inc. reserves the right to change or revise duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This document is not a written or implied contract of employment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.