Location: Saco, ME or Salisbury, NC
The Cost Accountant develops and maintains the cost accounting system, documentation, and records. They partner closely with other functions such as Operations to prepare the cost buildout for new products and develop overhead rate calculations and analysis. The incumbent contributes directly to reaching our EBITDA growth goals through analysis of gross margins, inventory variances, and collaborating with managers to identify cost savings opportunities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintain and improve the cost accounting system, estimating tool(s), documentation, and records
- Support business needs by performing research and analysis for data-based decision making
- Prepare cost buildout for new products with Manufacturing
- Develop overhead rate calculations, analysis, and methodology for assigning overhead costs to various products
- Interact with Sales Team and Customers on pricing issues and estimate costs for new products and custom products quotes
- Collaborate with factory management team and cost savings experts across factories to analyze labor, material, and overhead costs and identify cost savings opportunities using knowledge of manufacturing processes
- Tracks and reports costs savings results from project teams
- Documents feedback from key stake holders in the production process and adjusts cost models accordingly
- Prepares documentation such as cost models, margin analysis, and ERP reports
- Analyze gross margins and inventory variances to understand production-related variances within the financials and communicate and assist management in identifying and resolving issues.
- Analyzes and prepare reports for the difference between actual production costs and standard costs
- Contribute to the preparation of quarterly standard cost modeling and monthly KPI’s related to Inventory and Gross Margin
- Administer, review, and summarize periodic physical counts at all sites wherever Company inventory is stored
- Assist with monthly/quarterly/annual Financial Reporting requirements, including month-end closing
- Assist in the annual budget & monthly forecasts
- Provide support for year-end close, audit, inventory count and other duties as assigned.
Education, Skills, & Experience:
- 5 years prior experience
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting
- Excellent customer service skills and proven ability to help internal and external customers/vendors
- Effective communication skills
- Minimum-Associate degree in accounting with a 4-year degree preferred
- Intermediate to advanced skills with Microsoft office products, (i.e., excel, word, PowerPoint)
- CMA or CPA certifications a plus
Working Conditions/ Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, sit, stand, bend, lift, pull, walk, daily. Full hand and finger dexterity, with ability to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the manufacturing plant may be loud, in some areas hearing protection is required.
Yale Cordage, Inc. reserves the right to change or revise duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This document is not a written or implied contract of employment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.